Rail Trail Project
Willits Rail Trail
The Willits Rail Trail project is a 1.6 mile Class I separated bicycle and pedestrian pathway that will be built within the rail corridor in the City of Willits. Through previous engagement and planning, the City of Willits was successful in winning a $6-million Active Transportation grant from the State. While the design and implementation of the trail is currently underway, and the City will be reaching out to the community throughout the process to continue to gather input on the design and programming details for the trail. Please join us in the process! Once completed, the Willits Rail Trail will be the latest segment in a larger state-wide effort to build the Great Redwood Trail. Learn more about the Great Redwood Trail here: http://www.thegreatredwoodtrail.org/
Estimated Project Timeline:
- 2006 – Mendocino County Regional Bikeway Plan includes the Willits Rail Trail as a proposal
- 2012 – Mendocino County Rail-with-Trail Corridor Plan completed
- 2019 – ATP Grant Awarded!
- 2021 – ATP Project kick off
- 2021-2022 – Project Approvals and Environmental Document
- 2022-2023 – Project Design, Permitting, Right-of-Way
- 2021-2024 – Trail Construction
- Join us at the Willits Rail Trail Community Meeting: Thursday, March 10, 2022 at 6pm via Zoom. RSVP here to get the link and join the conversation: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAsf-iurD4tGN0Ga_lmBaxw52ngXOmOz3Mg
During the meeting, we will go over new updates on the project, have a round of Q&A, and talk through ideas for the trail design. This meeting will be recorded for those who cannot attend.
Dusty Duley, Community Development Director, City of Willits, firstname.lastname@example.org, (707)-459-7124